How does one celebrate Xmas in France? How do you say merry Xmas in French? What’s the French Xmas vocabulary? The answer in my article! Joyeux Noël !
There is so much to say about Xmas in France: I’ve written many articles so here is a recap! Follow the links to read/listen to my French Xmas articles: some have audio recordings or videos.
Let’s start by taking a look at the French Xmas Vocabulary.
How Do You Say Xmas in French?
Xmas in French is “Noël”. It’s a rather short word so there is no abbreviation for it.
French people may have learned the word Christmas in English class, but it’s unlikely they’d be familiar with the abbreviation Xmas, or that they’d be able to understand it!
French Xmas Vocabulary
- 10 ways of Wishing Merry Christmas in French – with audio recordings
- “Top 100 French Xmas Vocabulary” – List of Xmas vocabulary – with audio recordings
- “French Christmas Dialogue” – with audio
Olivier and I recorded a realistic dialogue introducing you to both the French traditions and precise vocabulary used around that time of year. Bilingual dialogue.
- “Petit Papa Noël” – The ultimate French Xmas carol sung by a young Leyla – video
- “Chanson pour les enfants l’hiver” – A very famous winter poem for children said by young Leyla – audio and video
- “Catholic Mass Prayers in French” and “Je Vous Salue Marie – Hail Mary” Far be it from me to proselytise, but these recording can be interesting to some in this Xmas season – recordings & English translation
Xmas in France – Traditions
- “Christmas Traditions in France” – All Traditions
- “Meet the French Santa” – Meet Saint Nicolas, who visits some French houses the night of December 5th-6th. Bilingual Story.
- “December 24th or 25th?” When do the French celebrate Xmas?
- “Joyeux Hanoucca” – French vocabulary for this Jewish Holiday
- “Noël en Australie” – une histoire en français facile
- “Strolling a French Xmas Market” – Bilingual story
- “Xmas Lights in Dinan” – Bilingual story
French Xmas Food
- “Truths and Myths Of The French Xmas Meal“
- “La Bûche de Noël” – Xmas Yule Log recipe
- “Les truffes au Chocolat” – Chocolate truffles recipe
- “Coquilles Saint Jacques au foie gras” – discover Olivier’s special Scallop recipe for the Holidays.
I wish you all to have a great new year with many opportunities to practice your French!