This pet naming tradition comes from naming pure breed pets, but has extended to naming any pet.
1- French Cats Vocabulary
- Le chat – male cat (say sha)
- la chatte – female cat (say shat)
- le chaton – kitten, always masculine
- Miauler – le miaulement – to meow / meowing
- Ronronner – le ronronnement – to purr / purring
- Feuler – le feulement – hiss/hissing
- Grogner – le grognement – to growl / a growl
- Griffer – une griffure – to scratch / a scratch
Le chat miaule quand il veut quelque chose. Quand il est content, il ronronne, et il feule quand il est en colère. Il peut aussi grogner, et parfois, il va griffer.
The cat meows when he wants something. When he is happy, he purrs, and he hisses when he is angry. He can also growl, and sometimes, he will scratch.
French cats say “miaou”.
Common names include Minet, Minou, Mistigri, Minette (f), Mouss,
The common synonym for “un chat” is “un matou”.
2 – Learn French With Minecraft – Cats and Dogs
And now for a treat! My bilingual daughter Leyla did a video to illustrate this French vocabulary about cats and dogs using the popular video game Minecraft! Enjoy, and please press like (and share) to encourage her to do more. She reads all the comments as well!
You’ll find the transcript and English transcript of the video on this blog article about learning French with Minecraft.
If you enjoyed this video, make sure you subscribe to French Today’s YouTube Channel so you never miss a video! Leyla has made several ones using Minecraft!
3 – French Dog Vocabulary
- Le chien – male dog
- la chienne – female dog
- le chiot – puppy, always masculine (watch out, “les chiottes” is slang for toilettes)
- Aboyer – un aboiement – to bark / a bark
- Hurler – un hurlement – to howl / howling
- Grogner – un grognement – to growl / growl
- Gémir – le gémissement – to whine – cry / whining, crying
- Mordre – une morsure – to bite / a bite
Les chiens aboient souvent. Quand leur maître part, certains hurlent. Et s’ils voient un chat, ils vont grogner, c’est certain ! S’ils sont tristes, ils vont gémir: on dit aussi qu’ils pleurent mais ce n’est pas vraiment correct. Et bien sûr, les gentils chiens ne mordent pas.
Dogs often bark. When their master leaves, some howl. And if they see a cat, they are going to growl, it’s certain! If they are sad, they will whine: we also say they cry, but it’s not really correct. And of course, good dogs don’t bite.
French dogs say “ouaf-ouaf” .
Common classic French dog names include Rex, Médor, Rintintin, Sultan, Fido, Mirza (f), Lassie (f)…
The common synonym for “un chien” is “un toutou”. In slang, we also call a dog “un clebs”, “un clébard”, “un roquet”, “un cabot” but all these are derogative.
Est-ce que vous avez un animal de compagnie ? Si oui, comment s’appelle-t-il/elle ? Quand j’étais petite, ma chienne s’appelait Mirabelle. Et puis, en tant qu’adulte, j’ai eu deux chiens: Zip et Pixel.
Do you have/had a pet? If so, what is his/her name ? When I was little, my dog’s name was Mirabelle. Then, as a grown up, I had two dogs: Zip and Pixel.