Today, we’re going to explore the facial hair vocabulary in French, as well as hair styles for men. Study the French vocabulary about moustache, beard etc… and then watch this short video featuring the popular video game in French “Les Sims”.
Scroll to the end to see the video.
1 – Hairs in French = Les Poils
Hairs on the face or body are called “les poils”.
- Un poil, des poils”. The L is pronounced.
2 – Hair Versus Hairs in French
The hair on the top of your head has a specific name in French: “les cheveux”.
In English, you use it in the singular.
- His hair is short and red.
- Ses cheveux sont courts et roux.
I invite you to view my other videos to learn French with the Sims about hairstyles and hair colors for more info about “les cheveux”.
- Learn French With The Sims – Hair Colors French Vocabulary
- Learn French With The Sims – Hair Styles and Textures (including hair color for men)
3 – Learn Facial Hair Vocabulary in French
À Moi Paris Level 1US$83.99US$67.19
Now, let’s look at facial hair (les poils du visage).
First, we have
- Un sourcil, des sourcils.
It’s spelled with an L which is silent.
Then, over “les yeux” (the eyes), we have “des cils”.
- “Un cil, des cils”.
This time, the L is pronounced. Go figure….
4 – Beard French Vocabulary
In the video below, my Sim is wearing:
- “Une barbe”. Une grosse barbe.
A beard. A large beard.
He could have
- “Une barbe légère, une barbe d’un jour”.
A light beard, one day beard
- “Il est mal rasé”
He is badly shaved if this is not intentional.
- Une barbe de trois jours : une barbe courte.
A three day beard: a short beard – a stubble
- Une barbe fine, bien sculptée.
A thin beard, well sculpted.
- Une barbichette , un bouc” and it’s very fashionable to use the English words “un goatee”.
- Un timbre, une mouche – just a bit of hair under the lips – a soul patch.
5 – Moustache French Vocabulary
He could also only have une moustache.
- Une petite moustache.
A small moustache.
- Une grosse moustache.
A large moustache.
And who wears “des favoris” nowadays, except Wolverine ?
They are also called in French “une rouflaquette, des rouflaquettes”.
Sideburns, mutton chops.
The part which is close to the hair, is called “une patte”, des pattes”. (sideburns)
And of course, he could be
- “très bien rasé” – clean shaved.
6 – Video of French Facial Hair Vocabulary Using the Sims
And now, let’s see a video featuring the French vocabulary about facial hair, and using The Sims 4. For more French videos using The Sims and Minecraft, please subscribe to French Today’s YouTube Channel.
If you are a teacher, please feel free to use this video in class, and share it with other teachers :-)
If you enjoy learning French in context, check out French Today’s downloadable French audiobooks: French Today’s bilingual novels are recorded at different speeds and enunciation, and focus on today’s modern glided pronunciation.