First, let’s study the French sailing vocabulary – scroll down for the video of my sailing boat encounter in Paimpol! Follow the link for more info about the sailing boat I boarded and sailing trips in Bréhat and Paimpol.
30 French Sailing Words
- Faire de la voile – to sail
- Faire du bateau – to navigate a boat, wether it’s a sailing boat or something else
- Un bateau – a boat (note the plural : des bateaux)
- Note that we say “un bateau à …” followed by the mode of propulsion, and “un bateau de…” followed by its function
- Un bateau à voile – a sailing boat
- Un bateau à moteur – a motor boat
- Un voilier – a sailing boat
- Un navire – another fancy way to say a boat, a ship
- Un gréement – an old fishing boat like the one you’ll see in the video below – un gréement is also a rig.
- Une goélette – schooner
- Un bateau de pêche – fishing boat
- Un bateau de croisière – cruise boat
- Un canot – dinghy
- Un canoë – canoe
- Une péniche – barge
- À bord – aboard
- À tribord – starboard side
- À bâbord – port side
- Lever l’ancre – to weigh anchor
- Prendre la mer, partir en bateau – to set sail
- Jeter l’ancre – to drop anchor
- mouiller – to moor
- être amarré – to be moored
- faire une excursion touristique – to take a sightseeing tour
- Un mât – mast
- Une voile – sail
- Une coque – hull
- Un pont – deck
- La barre – helm
- Le foc – jib
- La quille – keel
- Le noeud – knot
- Une cabine – a cabin
Are you looking for very specific French sailing terms – I suggest you visit this site which includes a very complete free French English bilingual sailing dictionary.
My French Sailing Boat Adventure
The other day I was swimming in the bay of Paimpol and saw a beautiful sailing ship in the distance. The sea that day was particularly calm and I had my flippers on, so I decided to investigate…
I swam all the way to the sailing boat and the crew invited me onboard. I was on “La Nébuleuse”, one of the prettiest old sailing ship of France. Captain Cédric gave me a tour! It was a wonderful experience.
I shot a “live” French practice video for you. Enjoy! If you like it, please ❤️, share, leave a comment: seeing your reactions really encourage me to keep shooting these live videos.
On the bottom right where you see the gear and CC options you may turn the subtitles on/off and select French or English. I checked them myself. Enjoy!
You may also enjoy my article about Bréhat – with another vidéo.