1 – How Do You Say Oyster in French?
The French word for oyster is “une huître”. It’s quite a tongue twister for English speakers!
2 – How Do You Pronounce Oyster in French? (With Audio)
The pronunciation of the word is closed to French number “huit”. Listen to the video and repeat out-loud.
Note the liasons that happen. We seldom say “huître” – there is likely to be a liaison before!
This article features audio recordings. Click the audio player to hear me say “huître” in French.
- huître – weetr
- l’huître – lweetr
- Une huître – nweetr
- Des huîtres – zweetr
- Six huîtres – zweetr
- Douze huîtres – zweetre
3 – Everyday French Practice Vido – Oyster Fest in Paimpol
Now let’s see this “live” video I shot: as I was jogging in my hometown of Paimpol, Brittany, I stumble upon the oyster fest and so I did a live, unscripted, very natural video.
Press CC and with the wheel (settings) for no subtitles, French subtitles or English subtitles.
You like this video? Subscribe to French Today on YouTube so you’ll never miss a video!
4 – French Conversation With An Oyster Fisherman
The fisherman who opens the oysters on the video says:
- Donc, là, je l’égoutte – So, here, I strain it
- Je décolle le pied – I take away the attach
- Et voilà, allez-y, il n’y a plus qu’à manger – and here you go, go ahead, you can eat it now
- Alors ça, ce sont des huîtres creuses de Paimpol – So these are cupped oysters from Paimpol
- Des grosses, taille XXL, qu’on ne trouve pas dans le commerce ! big ones, size XXL, which you don’t find in stores!
By the way, this guy is a pro… I would never dream of opening an oyster without protecting my hands! The shell is quite sharp and will cut your hand!
5 – Warm Oysters on Barbecue Recipe
To make warm oysters, you need:
- (la) ciboulette (chives),
- (le) basilic (basil – m),
- (l’)échalotte (shallots – f)
- et (le poivre) cinq baies (five berries… a mix of 5 different types of peppers)
What happened to the French articles here? He didn’t use any because he’s making a list and being very direct.
Miam ! – Yum