In this video, I will illustrate the French vocabulary about the eyes in French, using the popular video game The Sims. Learn about the eye anatomy, eye colors and eye shapes in French in a fun and efficient way.
Bonjour, c’est Camille de French Today.
Today, I’m going to tell you about the eyes in French, using the Sims.
1 – Un oeil, L’oeil, Des yeux, Les yeux – Eyes in French
So the French word for eyes is “les yeux”.
- Un oeil – one eye – has a strong liaison in N.
- L’oeil – the eye
2 – French Pronunciation of Eyes in the Plural : Les Yeux
In the plural, you will almost always have a Z sound starting the word “z-yeux” because of the word which comes before it, and the liaison.
- Des yeux – eyes
- Les yeux – the eyes
- Deux yeux – two eyes
But this is pretty much true for all the words that would come before…
- Tes yeux – your eyes (for tu)
- Vos yeux – your eyes (for vous)
- Tes beaux yeux – your beautiful eyes (for tu)
- Ces yeux / ses yeux – these eyes / her-his eyes (same pronunciation for ces and ses in French)
So you may as well memorize the sound “zieu” for it.
3 – Hair Over the Eyes – French Eye Vocabulary
Over les yeux, we have:
- “un sourcil, des sourcils” – eyebrows. The final L is silent.
Over the eye also, we have the eyelid:
- La paupière – eyelid
And then, another strange word :
- “un cil”, des “cils”, this time with the final L pronounced: the eye-lashes.
4 – Typical Eye Colors French Vocabulary
Low Intermediates & Above
Mastering French AdjectivesUS$47.99US$38.39
Now, let’s see some typical eye colors
Note the way we say “Her eyes are black, brown, blue etc…” is a bit different in French.
We can say “Ses yeux sont noirs, marron, bleus etc…” but in general, the construction: “Elle a les yeux noirs, marron, bleus etc… is more common.
- Elle a les yeux de quelle couleur ? What color are her eyes?
- De quelle couleur sont ses yeux ? What color are her eyes?
- Elle a les yeux noirs. Her eyes are black.
- Elle a les yeux marron. Her eyes are brown (no S for “marron”, it’s an irregular color adjective which is invariable = it never changes)
- Elle a les yeux verts. Her eyes are green.
- Elle a les yeux bleus. Her eyes are blue.
5 – Nuanced Eye Colors French Vocabulary
Now for some more unusual eye colors in French.
- Elle a les yeux noisette : un mélange de brun et de vert – she has hazel eyes, a mix of brown and green.
- Elle a les yeux gris-bleu – her eyes are grey blue
- Elle a les yeux bleu foncé – her eyes are dark blue
- Elle a les yeux bleu ciel – her eyes are “sky” blue (very light blue – you could also say “bleu clair”)
- Elle a les yeux bleu vert – here eyes are bluish green
Note that these adjectives are invariable: they are spelled without S although they refer to a plural noun.
All the rules about French adjectives are thoroughly explained in my audio lesson “Mastering French Adjectives”, exclusively available on French Today.com.
6 – How do You Say Contact Lenses and Glasses in French?
Now, what about that ?
- Elle a les yeux roses.
I know this is not possible, so…
- “peut-être qu’elle porte des lentilles de contact”. Maybe she is wearing contact lenses.
If she needs to:
- elle peut aussi porter des lunettes de vue – she can also wear prescription glasses
- ou bien des lunettes de soleil – or sunglasses
7 – Eye Shapes – French Vocabulary
Now, let’s look at the shapes of the eyes.
Typically, an Asian person has:
- les yeux bridés – well, I’m not sure how to translate this in English to be politically correct… I think you may say slanted eyes in English, but in any case it is the term we use in French (in France anyway).
Someone from India may have:
- les yeux en amande – almond shape eyes
We also say:
- Elle a les yeux ronds – her eyes are round shaped
- Elle a de grands yeux – she has big / large eyes
- Elle louche – she is cross eyed (from loucher)
8 – And Now It’s Your Turn!
- Et vous ? De quelle couleur sont vos yeux ? Est-ce que vous portez des lunettes ou des lentilles de contact ?
What about your? What color are your eyes? Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?
Answer this question in French in the comment section below – be careful with your adjectives!
9 – Learn French With the Sims – French Eye Vocabulary
If you enjoyed this video, make sure you subscribe to French Today’s YouTube Channel so you never miss a video! My bilingual daughter Leyla has made several ones using Minecraft, and I’ll make several using the Sims!
If you enjoy learning French in context, check out French Today’s downloadable French audiobooks: French Today’s bilingual novels are recorded at different speeds and enunciation, and focus on today’s modern glided pronunciation.