Lentilles vertes du Puy are unique. They only grow in the area surrounding the town of Puy-en-Velay which has a unique micro-climate that allows them to thrive. And thrive they have ... for over 2000 years, even before the Romans, the lentil has been cultivated here.
Lentil recipes have exploded the past few years as people learn to appreciate this nutrient rich legume. But two classics in French cuisine are lentils and sausage, and salmon with lentils. Today, we'll be trying Saucisses aux lentiles vertes du Puy - Sausage and lentils, et voilà:
- 1 lb. sausages, like kielbasa, chicken sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup green Lentilles du Puy
- 1-1/3 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- olive oil
1. In a dutch oven, heat some olive oil. When it is hot, add the sausages and brown.
2. Remove the sausage from the pot, add a bit more olive oil. Sauté the chopped onion, garlic and red pepper until the veggies are soft.
3. Pour in the broth. Add the lentils and the sausage. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and cook about 20 minutes or until the lentils are done.
Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.